Announcement for Consultancy Service
Terms of Reference (ToR)
Preparing Human Rights Monitoring Report
National Federation of the Disabled Nepal (NFDN) is legally registered non-governmental organization (NGO) under the institutional enrollment act of Nepal. It is the national umbrella body of persons with disabilities, represents 340 member organizations working for promoting the rights of persons with disabilities throughout the country. As the non-governmental and non-profitable organization NFDN has been leading disability rights movements in Nepal since 1993 through its working strategies – Advocacy, Awareness raising, Capacity building, Networking & Collaboration. The project will address the root causes related to 1) human rights monitoring, 2) education, 3) new legislation/policies and 4) implementation of existing laws/legislation. The reasons for focusing into these areas are that Nepal is a State in under transition where there are several laws being prepared from the federal parliament, and also most likely by the Provincial parliament (post 2018). In this connection, it is important that the disability movement works closely with parliament and policy makers in order to have disability inclusive or specific laws in place that have longer term impacts in the Nepalese society, and therefore for people with disabilities as well.
As the part of its overall programs and strategy NFDN has been implementing a project namely “Human Rights and Inclusive Education of Persons with Disabilities” in partnership with MyRight since 2018. The aim of this project is to contribute to improve human rights condition of persons with disabilities by reducing human rights violation and promote inclusive education through advocacy, awareness and technical support.
Through this announcement NFDN is seeking a qualified individual or company to provide consultancy service for the compilation of the data and information collected under the project related to the human rights violations and produce a compiled report of five years.
1. Assignment title:
Compilation and analysis of the data and information of The Human Rights Violations collected by NFDN for the period of 2018-2022
2. Scope of the assignment:
Nepal has become a party of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) which ensures full and effective participation and representation of persons with disabilities in the society and a full guarantee of the realization of human rights.
Under the project NFDN collected many cases of human rights violations of persons with disabilities during the five years of project period. At the same time NFDN also took initiation to solve the cases and achieved some results. Each year an annual report was also produced related to the human rights violation and disseminated among the stakeholders. The cases, information and data are collected at federal level by mobilizing the trained Human Rights Monitors of province.
In this backdrop, the purpose of this assignment is to produce a compiled report of Human Rights Monitoring based on the data and information collected by NFDN during the period of 2018 to 2022 with an analysis, conclusion and recommendations which provides a current picture of the situation of human rights of persons with disabilities in Nepal. NFDN has also aimed to use this compiled report as the advocacy tools in the days to come particularly to draw the attention of government towards addressing the human rights issues of persons with disabilities. Additionally, the consultant should take the following points into account while compiling the reports.
- Central problems and causes of human right violations of persons with disabilities
- The relevant stakeholders such as National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Police, etc and the steps to be taken by them to reduce such violations
- What should be the key responsibilities of NFDN and how the organization can do such works more effectively in future?
- Concrete recommendations to the stakeholders along with NFDN.
The consultant is expected to adopt at least (but not limit to it) the following methodology for the Compilation of the report;
a. Quick Review on human rights related laws, policies and provisions concerning to persons with disabilities.
b. Classification and Analysis of already collected data and information using appropriate techniques along with comparison and triangulation of data/information.
c. Organize consultation meetings with NFDN team both in provinces and federal level to capture more qualitative information based on their experiences on human rights violence against persons with disabilities and their parents.
4. Key task to be delivered:
a. Prepare a detail inception report with detailed of activities, action plan and methodology and the format of the report.
b. Carry out the review of the document, literature, legal provisions on human rights.
c. Analyze the data, information and cases of human rights violations collected by NFDN.
d. Conduct necessary discussion with NFDN federal team, province team and human rights monitors
e. Prepare the first draft of the report and discuss with NFDN’s federal project team.
f. Incorporate feedback of NFDN’s team and finalize the report
g. Submit the electronic copy of the report
6. At least the final report shall incorporate:
• Executive summary
• An overview of the situation of the human rights of persons with disabilities in Nepal
• Review of the laws and policies the human rights of persons with disabilities
• Data presentation, tabulation and analysis
• Key findings, Conclusion and Recommendations
• Appendices: charts, terms of reference, people interviewed, documents reviewed
7. Qualifications and experience of the consultant (individual or company)
The consultant(s) should have the following qualification and experiences:
• Master’s degree (preferable) in Social Science (Sociology, genders, inclusion, human rights, disability study and Development Studies) or related fields.
Experiences and Knowledge
• Proven experience of research, data analysis, monitoring and experience of working with persons with disabilities or their human rights issues.
• Proven experience of report writing and interpreting data.
• Experience of conducting consultation meetings with stakeholders and group of persons with disabilities.
• Good knowledge on disability and its diversities and how ensure inclusion of diversity during consultation and meetings.
• Well informed about social and human right approach of disability, CRPD and latest disability specific national laws, policies and guidelines.
• Good and attractive writing skills in English and Nepali Language considering.
• Excellent writing skills in Nepali and English. Unicode in Nepali is preferred.
• Excellent in handling basic computer programs such as MS Word, Excel, Power-point
• Good in communication with people along with persons with disabilities.
• Good in data presentation and analysis.
8. Ethical and Child Protection and gender related Statements
Child protection is a term used to describe the responsibilities and activities undertaken to prevent or to stop children being abused or ill-treated. It is NFDN’s duty and responsibility to reduce the risks of abuse to the children who we have contact with and keep them safe from harm. NFDN’s Child Protection Policy framework to protect children and gender policy promotes the rights of men & women for equality who come into contact with NFDN employees, volunteers, vendor and individuals, including consultants or any one working on behalf of NFDN.
In the technical proposal, the consultant should include statements on how he or she will ensure gender and child protection during the assignment. During his/her work the consultant shall be liable towards NFDN’s policies related to gender, safeguarding, social inclusion and child protection.
The project coordinator of NFDN will supervise during the process. Project coordinator will be contact person for coordinating work. National Federation of the Disabled Nepal (NFDN) relevant staff will accompany with the external consultant to ensure the work.
10. Cost of travel, accommodation and consultations
All the cost related to travel, accommodation, consultations and meetings will be covered by NFDN directly. So the consultant need not to include this cost in the budget. The consultant is only requested to submit their financial proposal of consultancy fees including all applicable taxes according to the law of land.
11. Time-Frame for the Report writing Process
The total time frame for the assigned task will be of 20 working days.
12. Application Process
Both individual and registered company are requested to send their application on the email address at: email@example.com with the attachment of the following documents.
a) Letter of interest for the consultancy service including Proposal and Methodology
b) VAT registration number and copy of registration certificate
c) Latest Tax clearance certificate
d) Updated bio-data (resume)
e) Company registration and renewal certificate
f) Updated Company profile with related work experience, competency & capacity
g) Technical proposal with methodology and financial proposal
Note: We would like to inform the interested and qualified consultants to submit the required documents during the office hours by 23rd August, 2022.