National Federation of the Disabled Nepal (NFDN) is legally registered non-governmental organization (NGO) under the institutional enrollment act of Nepal. It is the national umbrella body of persons with disabilities, represents 340 member organizations working for promoting the rights of persons with disabilities throughout the country. As the non-governmental and non-profitable organization NFDN has been leading disability rights movements in Nepal since 1993 through its working strategies – Advocacy, Awareness raising, Capacity building, Networking & Collaboration. The project will address the root causes related to 1) human rights monitoring, 2) education, 3) new legislation/policies and 4) implementation of existing laws/legislation. The reasons for focusing into these areas are that Nepal is a State in under transition where there are several laws being prepared from the federal parliament, and also most likely by the Provincial parliament (post 2018). In this connection, it is important that the disability movement works closely with parliament and policy makers in order to have disability inclusive or specific laws in place that have longer term impacts in the Nepalese society, and therefore for people with disabilities as well.
As the part of its overall programs and strategy NFDN has been implementing a project namely “Human Rights and Inclusive Education of Persons with Disabilities” in partnership with MyRight since 2018. The aim of this project is to contribute to improve human rights condition of persons with disabilities by reducing human rights violation and promote inclusive education through advocacy, awareness and technical support.
NFDN is conducting Systems Based Audit to access the current level of the institutional capacity of the organization i.e weaknesses and weakness and recommend measures that should be taken for institutional development of the organization. So, NFDN announces the call for Expression of Interest (EOI) from the experienced and qualified experts to carry our System based Audit. Interested and Eligible individual or organization are invited to submit EOI in the following address mentioning “Expression of Interest for System Based Audit” in the subject line in the following Address:firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility to submit the EOI;
• EOI can be submitted by a company or person having the potential eligibility.
• Interested consultants must provide information with their personal Bio data indicating their qualification to perform the services.
• This expression of interest is open to all eligible Consulting Firm and individual consultants. Renewed Company documents should be submitted in case of the companies.
• Individual consultant shall provide at least 1 details of similar assignment experience, their location in the previous 3 years.
• NFDN will select the consultant based on their experience and amount proposed for the task.
• Working experience and knowledge in development organization (Organization of Persons with Disabilities OPDs) in relevant areas will be an advantage.
Documents to submit along with EOI:
• Cover letter of company or individual consultant duly signed by authorized signatory.
• Include at least 3 years’ experience in the field of SBA and disability in the related topics with brief report in the relevant area.
• Provide financial proposal for the completion of SBA.
• Updated Company Profile or curriculum vitae demonstrating the mentioned knowledge, skill and expertise required, availability in the proposed service period, a brief plan for how to carry out the services.
• Plan of action, expected services, availability within the expected time and duration to carry out the tasks as per the TOR attached.
2. Objectives of the Systems Based Audit of Partner Organization
2.1 The main purpose of the Systems Based Audit is to assess the current level of the institutional capacity of the organization, that means; to identify the level of the organizations development, its weaknesses and to recommend measures that should be taken to a further institutional development of the organization. It is expected that the System Based Audit recommendations will give the organization a clear picture of their strengths and weaknesses in order to develop their organization even more.
The specific objectives of this exercise are as follows:
1) To assess the current situation of the partner organization’s governance, management, operation and administration.
2) To identify important weaknesses that can help the partner organization to develop.
2.2 The Scope of Work for carrying out the systems-based audit:
Unless otherwise stated, the time frame is one (1) year back in time for the reviews below.
(A) Review the capacity of organizational governance:
1. Review the organization’s governance capacity:
1.1. Is the organizations Vision clear and understandable?
1.2. Is the organizations Mission clear and understandable?
1.3. Is the strategy for how to reach their vision and mission clear and understandable?
1.4. Is the institutional operational plan clear and include expected goals/results?
2. Review the organizations institutional budget and if it is possible to read out different financial incomes (donors etc.) and different costs?
3. Assess the organizational governing documents and structure together with the transparency towards the organization’s members (annual meeting etc.) and identify important weaknesses in the organizational governance
(B) Review the system for delegation and segregation of duties:
4. Review the organizations document for rules of procedure/delegation system
5. Review if the organization has a procedure/system for appointment of board
6. Review the organization document for segregation of duties and if it is linked to the organizations financial management
7. Review the how the organization complies with their internal document for rules of procedure/delegation and segregation of duties
8. Review the Boards documentation and following ups of their own decisions (board meeting protocol etc.)
9. Review the organization document for “the right to sign in the organizations name” (bank accounts/cheques, agreements etc.)
10. Assess the organization work regarding delegation and segregation of duties and identify important weaknesses
(C) Review Organizational policies and guidelines:
11. Review if current policies and guidelines are signed or approved by board and/or Executive Director in line with internal system for decision making
12. Review if the organizations has following policies/guidelines/steering documents (or similar):
12.1. Financial manual
12.2. Anti-corruption policy
12.3. Procurement policy
12.4. Human Recourse policy
13. Assess the organizational work with develop, approve, and update policies and guidelines and identify important weaknesses.
(D) Review internal control and compliance environment:
14. Review the organization´s compliance with applicable laws/legislation/agreement terms/regulations that are set by authorities/agencies (such as donors, NGOs, Banks, National tax authority, Labour Ministry, etc.)
15. Review the organization system for ensuring compliance with above laws/legislation/agreement.
16. Review the routines for follow-up and the management of findings/comments in audit reports
17. Review if the organization has the required insurance in place
18. Assess the organizations work with internal control and compliance and identify important weaknesses.
(E) Review the anti-corruption system and risk management
19. Review the organization´s whistle blowing system
20. Review the organization´s documentation of detecting and preventing corruption and minimizing risks of corruption
21. Review the organizations documentation of risk and risk management
22. Assess the organization´s polices, work and management with corruption and risk and identify important weaknesses
(F) Review Internal system for planning, monitoring and reporting
23. Review if the organization’s strategic and operational plans are linked to their vision and mission
24. Review if institutional budget is linked to the organizations operational plan or strategy
25. Review the organizations system for overall PME (planning, monitoring and evaluation)
26. Review if the institutional annual report describing the development within the organization in a way that is comparable to the different goals/areas etc. that is set in the organization’s strategic and/or annual operational plan
27. Assess the organizations system for planning, monitoring and reporting and identify important weaknesses
(G) Review Financial system
28. Review the organizations financial management (accounting, reporting etc.)
29. Review the organization’s following up of comments/shortcomings noted in institutional audits/project audit management letter
30. Review the organization´s system of applying of funds and control regarding use of funds when it comes to different donors
31. Review the organization’s system of budgeting, monitoring and reporting at an institutional level (consolidated budget and financial statement)
32. Review the system for making changes in approved budgets
33. Review the system/routines when staff’s time are apportioned in different projects
34. Review the system of management of payment and refund of advances to staff
35. Review the organization strategy for sustainable and long-term budget planning
36. Assess the organization’s financial system/document, management and internal work within the financial area and identify important weaknesses
37. Asses the quality of the financial manual
(H) Review Archiving system
38. Review the organizations system for back-up, archive and safeguarding of accounting records and other important documents (agreements, reports, staff contracts etc.) according to donor’s conditions and national laws.
39. Assess the organizational system and work with back-up, archive and safeguarding of documents etc. and identify important weaknesses
(I) Review the Human Resource Management (HRM):
40. Review if the HR-policy (or similar document) include;
40.1. procedure for reviewing of salaries and benefits
40.2. procedures for capacity building of staff
40.3. Recruitment of new staff
40.4. Working environment (ensuring a healthy work environment)
41. Review routines/system for staff attendance/Leave Record/Time Reporting
42. Review if the organization has a code of conduct and if it prohibits members and employees to use organizational funds for personal gain, be involved in irregularities and corruption with funds from the organization or in its name as well as sexual harassment, threats or violence when representing the organization in any circumstance
43. Assess the Human Resources Management and identify important weaknesses
2.3 Reporting Guideline for Deliverables
• The draft report, included attached assessment sheet, along with an Executive Summary will be e-mailed by the Consultant to the organization, to get their feedback before finalization of the report on this Systems Based Audit.
• The organization’s management response shall respond to all findings and recommendations made by the Consultant. The response shall be merged in the respective parts of the final Systems Based Audit report.
• The Final Report shall be sent by the Consultant both as digital and hard copies. Language of the reports shall be English.
• The organizations shall present a management respond and action plan based on the findings and recommendations made by the Consultant
• Digital copy of the final report will be sent to MyRight, email@example.com and to the head of the organizations (add email). Two sets of hard copy of the report will be submitted to the partner organizations.
2.4 Proposed timeline for carrying out the Systems Based Audit:
The final report shall be sent not later than 31st of October 2022.
SlNo Activities Requirements Timeline/
Man Days Deliverables Practical things, Responsibilities and Remarks
2.5 Confidentiality and Ownership:
All the documents that will be provided to the Consultant by the organization for realizing the Systems Based Audit as per these Terms of Reference will remain the property of the organization. The Consultant will not divulge any information related to the documents to any third party without getting the written consent from the organization.
These Terms of Reference shall enter into force upon signature of the contract and shall thereafter be valid until further notice with a mutual notice period.
2.7 Fees and Mode of Payment for Carrying out this Systems Based Audit
As a Consultant I hereby confirm that the Systems Based Audit will be carried out on the , as per the above Terms of Reference as agreed upon.
Place and date:
Name in block capitals:
Note: Date of call for the EOI: 17th August, 2022
Deadline for the Submission of EOI: 5 pm, 23rd August, 2022. (Nepali Standard Time)
Email address for document submission: firstname.lastname@example.org
NFDN reserves the right to select or not to select any of the application. NFDN keeps safeguarding as a top priority so, any data or information collected during the task shall be kept confidential and shall not be disseminated without NFDN’s prior consent.