National Federation of the Disabled, Nepal(NFDN) is a cross disability umbrella organization (national body) of persons with disabilities. It is representing more than 330 member organizations (Disabled Peoples’ Organizations, Parents Associations of Persons with Intellectual Disabilities and other organizations working on disability issues) throughout the nation. As the pioneer civil society organization, NFDN has been working on disability rights promotion for last 25 years. The key working strategies of NFDN are Advocacy/Lobby, Awareness raising, Capacity Building and Networking and Collaboration.
Currently, NFDN, in partnership with CBM Nepal, has been implementing a project on accessibility to the end of inclusion of persons with disabilities. This project is mainly implemented inside the Kathmandu valley and some nearby earthquake effected districts. NFDN will closely work with the Kathmandu Metropolitan City, Reconstruction Authorities, Ministry of Women Children and Social Welfare, Department of Road and other relevant authorities to promote accessibility standards in the public physical infrastructures in the course of addressing post disaster reconstruction activities.
NFDN now is accepting the applications from a competent persons for the following position:
Position: Accessibility/Construction Specialist (Accessibility for Inclusion project)
Number(s) of Position: 1
Working Station: Kathmandu with field visit to earthquake affected districts(sometime).
Contract period: 7 Months.
Academic qualification and experience:
Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or architecture with at least two years’ experience in the relevant field. Experience in accessibility for people with disability and universal design principles.
Duties & responsibilities:
- To prepare the detail design, structural analysis, bill of quantity of the construction sites in line with the recommendation report of the accessibility audit where the construction works are to be done by the current project,
- To supervise and provide technical assistance before and during repair, modification and construction of public structures through accessibility audit process, providing both technical and management solutions and recommendations to the contracted companies and other concerned authorities overseeing the projects,
- Ensure the construction projects are completed on schedule, according to contractual conditions, within budget, and with adherence to high standards of quality construction,
- Coordinate with all contractors and other concerned stakeholders for the purpose of consultation and monitoring/follow up process,
- Ensure the construction/modification/repairmen works are accessible for all including persons with all kinds of disabilities in line with the accessibility standards and universal design principles,
- Develop checklists and tools to ensure regular follow up, revisions as per need to allow accessibility to be addressing throughout the design and implementation,
- Help with identifying and documenting appropriate and innovative accessible construction solutions for (re) construction in order to collect lessons learned and good practice,
- Provide technical support to the preparation of IEC materials, illustrative technical guide on accessibility, technical articles, accessibility audit and other relevant activities within the project.
Expected Skills, Knowledge and attitudes
- Design, construction and cost estimate skills, especially with appropriate materials and building systems (mud, stone, wood, etc),
- Extensive knowledge of ecological, appropriate and vernacular technologies,
- Knowledge on accessibility standards and universal design principles,
- Social technical skills are preferred.
- Good comfort on visiting to construction sites,
- Autocad, Sketchup or equivalents and good hand sketching
- Excellent knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Excel,
- Good skill in accessible and earthquake resistant structure construction
- Knowledge of humanitarian system and work,
- Good networking and communication skills are preferred,
- Good multi-tasking with time-management skills. Ability to work under pressure,
- Strong team-working skills, ability to work independently, as well as in a group setting
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English and Nepali
How to Apply?
Interested candidates are requested to apply to the above position with a written application letter and recently updated CV at our mail address: email@example.com
Application Deadline: May 29, 2018
Only shortlisted candidate will be called for interview.
“Since NFDN is working for promoting the rights of persons with disabilities, the qualified women/persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.”
(Any telephonic inquiry will not be entertained.)