Terms of Reference (TOR) for Television Program
National Federation of the Disabled Nepal (NFDN) is a legally registered Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) under the institutional enrollment act of Nepal. It is the national umbrella body of the Organizations of Persons with Disabilities (OPDs), and represents 340 member organizations throughout the country. In Nepal, NFDN has led the disability rights movement since 1993 in order to promote and protect the rights of persons with disabilities through its four main working strategies – Advocacy, Awareness, and Capacity Building.
NFDN, in partnership with Handicap International, is implementing a project on health related rehabilitation in the support of USAID. The program aims to improve access to rehabilitation services for all those who need it, through policy reform, OPD mobilization, awareness, and implementation of existing health and rehabilitation policies. This project has set goals to improve the mobility and functional independence of conflict-affected civilians and women, men, girls and boys in need of health related rehabilitation in Nepal, through the establishment of a sustainable integrated, public-private rehabilitation system.
The epidemiological transition of communicable disease to non-communicable disease increased the prevalence rate of impairments and further disability and thus increased the need for health related rehabilitation services throughout the life cycle. Within the context of Nepal, there is a lack of information about the necessity of rehabilitation services. Consequently, there is a need to promote public awareness, support policy implementation, and highlight the innovative practices. This can be done through a television show and amplification through social media focusing on the importance of rehabilitation services.
In recent years, health related rehabilitation services have become indispensable for persons with and without disabilities. Rehabilitation needs are increasing, however mainstream media such as radio and television don’t focus much on raising awareness programs. It is essential to create and broadcast awareness programs from radio, television, and online media about how rehabilitation services can be integrated into the health care system. This also aims to impart a sense of uniformity for the understanding of the concept of rehabilitation services in Nepal.
In the context of Nepal, health rehabilitation services have become indispensable for persons with and without disabilities. However, at the program level rehabilitation for all population including the persons with disability is still not in the priority of the government of Nepal. In the context where the rehabilitation needs are increasing, there is still lack of awareness programs and materials from mainstream media like radio and television. Therefore, to increase public awareness, it is need to broadcast awareness materials from radio, television and online media on importance of rehabilitation services to integrate in health system to impart the sense of uniformity for the understanding of the notion of the rehabilitation services in Nepal.
So, TV show is planned under the scope of this TOR to spread messages on the need for health related rehabilitation for both persons with and without disabilities. This will also support advocacy for the implementation of existing health policies, guidelines, and strategies. Thus, NFDN is seeking qualified and experienced media companies that can offer quality consultancy services. This TV show will have some episodes and will usually focus on health related rehabilitation issues for person with and without disabilities. It will also focus on how policies and services are interconnected. The TV shows are also expected to benefit disability rights advocates by helping them to implement policies and encourage users to take part in services.
1. Scope of Work
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the NFDN and close coordination with the team of Handicap International, the consultant will work in the following scope of work.
- Pr-production work (Concept, script, production planning)
- During Production (equipment management, studio, research, outdoor shooting, interview and quality control)
- Post-production (editing, quality control, finalization, rendering and broadcasting)
2. Objective of the Assignment
The main objectives of this assignment are;
- To increase awareness on the need and importance of rehabilitation services among persons with and without disabilities and stakeholders.
- To raise awareness of the barriers faced by persons with disabilities in accessing rehabilitation services. In addition, to encourage positive action in the implementation of existing health and rehabilitation policies and guidelines.
- Raise the issues of rehabilitation among the duty bearers, policy makers and service providers.
3. Expected Length and submission timeline of the video for the program
The TV show should be of 20 to 25 minutes long. The final video content must be submitted a week before the date of broadcasting and has to be signed out by NFDN and HI.
4. Proposals should contain the following:
Interested qualified media/companies are requested to submit the proposal containing the following:
- The companies profile with the experiences of relevant works available in the YT links.
- General concept (with a sample script) of the program with explanation, how it fulfills the objectives of assignment mentioned in point 2.
- Detail cost of per episode with item wise budget breakdown (per-production, during production and post-production).
- List of team members and their working experiences
- Working experiences with persons with disabilities or in any area related to disability rights will add value for this assignment.
5. Accessibility requirement:
- Each episode should be broadcasted with simultaneous Nepali sign language interpretation,
- Close Captioning, with slow motion flow mode, in Nepali,
- Audio narration by professional voice artist in Nepali language,
- Fonts, fonts size and colors as suggested by NFDN
6. Things to consider before making a TV program:
- Before getting started, the consultant must prepare a work plan and storyboard for the TV program. This has to be validated by NFDN and HI. The video program should ensure that it does not negatively affect the physical or mental condition of any person, caste, language, culture, religion, gender, or community.
- Maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of the task is essential.
This television program is intended for those persons with and without disabilities, organizations of persons with disabilities, government authorities at all levels, rehabilitation service providers, rehabilitation associations, civil society organizations and general Nepalese citizens.
8. How to apply
a) To apply for the assignment, interested media/companies should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents. The hard copy of the proposal can also be submitted to the NFDN project office by 31st August, 2022
b) A cover letter in the letterhead of the company with company’s stamp and authentic signature.
c) Detail technical proposal with a description of process and methods.
d) Detail budget breakdown for each episode of the program in a separate excel sheet.
e) Company’s profile with all detail of its works, achievements and experiences, links for those available online.
f) VAT registration certificate.
g) Media/companies registration certificates,
h) TAX clearance certificate of recent FY.
i) Renewal updates of the company (not renewed company according to the law of land will be disqualified).
9. Address of NFDN
address: Ratopul, Kathmandu, Phone: Phone: 01-4231159/4487341